Decking Steps & Stairs Installation
How to install steps and stairs for Hyperion® composite decking
- Steps must be a minimum of 2 boards deep and a maximum of 190mm high per step rise (220mm in private installations).
- It is the customers responsibility to ensure the installation meets the stipulation of the minimum and maximum step rise, step going (depth) and pitch required, as per ‘Document K: Building Regulations 1992’.
- If creating the step support frame using Manticore plastic lumber, it is recommended that you use 50 x 150mm profile bearers and only in a box frame structure.
Decking step installation
Plan your stairs
Plan your step area, taking into account the decking board and riser width, when designing the tread and rise dimensions.
Construct a frame
Create a box frame to support your step area:
- Ensure that the boards are supported at the appropriate joist centres.
- If you are creating multiple steps, ensure the base box is large enough to stack all steps on top.
For multiple steps create additional smaller box frames and place on top.
Secure the frame
You can secure the separate box frames by inserting a post into the inner corner of the box frame and screwing in place.
Alternatively you can create step stringers using appropriate width treated timber.
Step nosing installation
Edge board step nosing
Explorer edge boards can be used to create the perfect flush finish for steps
Install the edge boards and decking step treads as per parallel edge board installation instructions.
Fascia board step nosing
For the step riser, attach Pioneer or Frontier fascia boards by screwing directly through into the step frame.
- Ensure to pre-drill 4mm countersunk pilot holes and do not overdrive screw
Install the fascia boards according to our fascia board installation instructions.
Corner trim step nosing
Install corner nosing trim when using Pioneer range deck boards for the riser.
- Ensure to pre-drill 4mm countersunk pilot holes and do not overdrive screw.
Install the corner trim according to our corner trim installation instructions.